OUR TOP 15 REASONS TO LOVE AVOCADOS
Our top 15 Reasons why we should love avocados
- Avo’s can very easily fit into a variety of healthy eating plans.
- You don’t need a plate or bowl to snack on them, just a spoon.
- They contain less than 1g of sugar per 28g.
- Avo’s are virtually the only fruit that contain monounsaturated fat (the good one)
- They add moisture, nutrients and good fats to baked products.
- The creamy consistency of an avo is great for babies weaning foods
- Over 75% of the fat in avocados is unsaturated fat. Replacing saturated fat with unsaturated fat (but staying within calorie needs) is more effective at lowering the risk of heart disease than just decreasing the total fat intake.
- Avocados provide only 0.5 grams of saturated fat in a 28g serving. A minimal amount when you compare them to butter and cheese. Butter contains 14.6 grams of saturated fat per 2 Tbsp. serving. Cheddar cheese contains about 6 grams of saturated fat per 28g serving.
- They contain 0mg of cholesterol per serving.
- They can be used in savory or sweet cooking. Have a look at this chocolate avo mousse recipe from ADSA.
- They contain Omg of sodium per serving. Avo’s are used in the DASH diet to help control blood pressure.
- 28g can contain 6% of your daily folate needs. Therefore an excellent option for pregnant women.
- They may help maintain eye health due to the fact that they contain the carotenoids, Lutein and Zeaxanthin.
- They contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- The fat in avocados is comprised of primarily unsaturated fats.
For a quick, easy dessert option using avo’s, try out some avo, chocolate and cinnamon ice lollies. Click here for the recipe.
For more information nutritional information get in touch with Munchwize, Dietitians Cape Town